40. How to Eat Healthy
If you’ve been following along with the sequence of this site, there’s only one more thing we need to discuss: How to successfully apply all this to your life.
This final section is all about How to Get Healthy, Eat Healthy, and Be Healthy!
- Never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. That’s rule number one.
- Rule number two is shop the perimeter of your food store. The fruits and vegetables (organic is best), nuts and seeds (in the shells only), dairy (skip the margarine), and meat (buy lean) departments.
- Only go down the aisles for destination items like brown rice, dried beans and peas.
- Don’t go down the canned food or cereal aisles. Don’t even think about frozen dinners!
- You probably won’t be able to get unrefined oils at your local supermarket. You may have to get them at your health food store. Even if the canola oil on your grocery shelf says 100% pure, it is refined and rancid. And, by the way, just because a food item is at the health food store, it’s not necessarily healthy.
- Read the labels. Look for “unrefined”, skip anything that includes the words “hydrogenated”, “partially hydrogenated”, “enriched” or “fortified”. Be careful not to be deceived.
- Learn more about wholesome products and how to identify them.
It’s not going to be difficult to make wholesome meals. It’s just a matter of getting used to a new way of doing things.
Change is sometimes hard to do at first but if you stick with it, it will get easy.